Simple Facts about Chinese
- Chinese is the most used language in the world. Over 1 billion people or nearly one-fifth of the world speaks Chinese as their native tongue.
- Written Chinese is not an alphabetic language. We call Chinese characters as “squared characters”.
- The Chinese script is a logographic script structured so that each character represents a single concept; characters are then combined to form compound words. Although there are several distinct languages (or dialects”) spoken in China including Mandarin and Cantonese (Hong Kong), they can read the same “written words” because it is based on meaning, not on sound.
Chinese Translation Peculiarities
- Professional Chinese translators usually work with only one of the two Chinese versions, simplified Chinese or traditional Chinese
- Traditional Chinese used in Taiwan is different from that in Hong Kong and also from that in Chinese communities in Europe and America.
- Many companies treat them as two separate languages and have separate teams.
- Always check with clients the target market to determine the correct version to use.
Simplified vs. Traditional
There are two variations of Chinese written languages: Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.
- Traditional Chinese is the older form of the script and is used in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and other locations outside of China, including various “Chinatowns” in the west. Chinese traditional characters are more complex and more numerous.
- Simplified Chinese is the result of reducing some strokes from the traditional characters to make it simpler to remember and write. Simplified Chinese was developed in mainland China (and adopted in Singapore) as a way of simplifying the older system in order to increase literacy. As part of the simplification, several traditional characters were collapsed into one character in Simplified.
Which version to choose?
It depends on where your target market is.
- Mainland China -> Simplified Chinese
- Taiwan -> Traditional Chinese
- Hong Kong -> Traditional Chinese
- Singapore -> Simplified Chinese
Our Strengths in Chinese Translation
As a company with 5 production centers across mainland China and Taiwan, we are more confident offering Chinese translation services than our competitors.
As a board member of Translators Association of China (TAC), which is a national association of translators in China equivalent to ATA, we are well recognized for our capabilities in providing Chinese translations.
• 80 plus in-house Chinese linguists in our production centers in mainland China and Taiwan
• Chinese linguists from mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and the USA enable us to provide accurate translations targeting various parts of the world
• Cultural adaptation of different regions: Hong Kong, Taiwan, Mainland China and Singapore
• We are an ISO9000: 2008 certified company with 13 years of experience in serving clients across the globe
Our capabilities in Chinese are unmatched. You can rely on us for Chinese translation for any type of documents.
Not sure which version to use? No problem, contact us at MTS and get a free consultation.